Wednesday 9 July 2014

Readalong: How to Build A Girl - intro post.

Hello all! Caitlin Moran's shiny new green novel was published in the UK last week, and after dithering about whether or not to buy a copy, I read about four different posts from my favourite bloggers all signing up for a readalong, organised by Emily at As The Crowe Flies (And Reads), which will take place over the next few weeks. The next day the book somehow fell off the shelves at work and came home with me. Curious!



For those of you who are new to me and my blog: hello! I am a twentymumble-year-old geek girl living on the Isle of Wight, and I work in a bookshop, which is awfully convenient for my book addiction and not terribly good for my bank account. I'm sure my employers are supposed to be giving me money rather than the other way round.


I've taken part in a couple of readalongs before, most recently The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, which was great fun, and I really enjoyed sharing thoughts with my fellow bloggers at various stages of the book, although my posts were sadly gif-less. I shall make up for this oversight with plenty of nerdy gifs for How To Build A Girl, I promise.

I confess I'm not what you'd call a fan of Caitlin Moran. It's not that I'm not a fan, so much as that she's someone whose awesomeness I know from everyone else. I enjoyed her books - How To Be A Woman, which made me giggle embarrassingly in public places - but haven't had much to do with her as a public figure. (Cue everyone descending on me to tell me what I'm missing.) Judging from her non-fiction work, I'm expecting How to Build A Girl to be outrageously funny, sarcastic and passionately feminist. I also suspect it will be difficult to limit myself to reading just a few chapters per week.

The Schedule:

July 7th (or 9th in my case): Introductions
July 14: Part 1
July 21: Part 2 - chapters 5-10
July 28: Part 2 - chapters 11-15
Aug 4:  Part 2 -chapters 16-20)

Aug 11: Part 3 and wrap-up

Let the readalong commence!




9 comments:

  1. Gah! I just typed out a whole comment and then blogger ate it! Basically, I want to do this readalong because it came up like six times in my blogger feed and I LOVE Caitlin Moran, but I really really really hate hardbacks, and I've been on the Waterstone's website about five times and hovered over the 'add to basket' button but eventually decided to reserve it at the library, where I am 46 out of 46 people waiting to read the ten copies they've got.. So it might be a while! Never mind, I will be reading all of your posts and being jealous instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a LITTLE hardback though, it's not a huge great normal-size one. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, and I DID buy it. *whispers* Do iiiiiiiit. :P

      Delete
    2. It is a very lovely little hardback. It seduced me with its loveliness - I hadn't planned to buy it, it just... happened.

      Delete
  2. I'm also really only familiar with Moran from How To Be a Woman, but that was plenty to get me excited about this too. She seems so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does indeed. I loved that book. Didn't always agree with everything she said, but mostly I just found myself saying "Yes! That's exactly it!"

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, now I'm wondering if I SHOULD sign up! At the moment I'm reading along, just not readalonging, if that makes sense. Mostly because I want to read the book and be facetious in other people's comments sections, but I don't really want to do posts because I AM TOO LAZY RIGHT NOW AND ALSO DECORATING MY ROOM. Hmmmm. *wavers* *stares at book* *wavers some more* *goes off to eat biscuits and think about it*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much just knew Caitlin Moran was awesome because of other people saying so, too. But the rumors SEEM to be true...so far. Welcome to the readalong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're joining us on the impromptu basis. Welcome! We shall learn of Caitlin's delights together. And it's so cool that you live on the Isle of Wight.

    ReplyDelete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...