Sunday 25 August 2013

Bout of Books 8.0: Sunday

Bout of Books


This morning was a grey, dull day and impossible to wake up. A single coffee wasn't enough, and unfortunately I've been feeling and acting somewhat like a she-Hulk this morning. Sincere apologies to those who were on the receiving end. Have a Nutella cupcake as a peace offering. She-Hulk likes baking cake, apparently.



I haven't done a lot of reading, again, today, because I got stuck writing a new scene for my Rilla of Ingleside adaptation. (Actual writing, guys! Two days in a row!) Where yesterday's work involved a lot of typing up from the original work, reworking speeches and scenes, today I had to use my imagination to flesh out characters who are important in the series but don't have an awful lot of on-screen time in the novel. In particular, though this is the story of the younger generation, I wanted to make Anne and Gilbert still recognizable as the characters countless readers have fallen in love with. In Rilla, they are mostly just Doctor Blythe and his wife: wise and patient and lacking the spark that makes their personalities so, well, them. 

I'm up to the 19th century in Necropolis, which has described the shift in people's attitudes to death over the years, from pragmatic acceptance to sentimentality, from memento mori to lavish memorials. The book also, briefly, told of 23-year-old Jane Webb, author of a book
Set in 2126, in an England that had reverted to absolute monarchy, this featured prototypes for espresso machines, air-conditioning and, most prophetically, 'a communication system that permitted instant world dissemination of news.'
This chick predicted the internet. Why have we never heard of her? And they say there's no place for women in science fiction!

I don't expect to finish Necropolis tonight. I plan to watch a couple of episodes of one of my many box sets, then have an early night. (It may be a bank holiday tomorrow, but I still have to work. Here's hoping for a sunny day so that everyone'll go to the beach and let me make a start on my huge list of things to be done this week.)

All in all, it's been a good readathon. I didn't expect to read all of the books on my list - Cuckoo's Calling and Perdido Street Station are still outstanding - but my to-read pile is starting to look like it's getting under control now. I must rectify that.

7 comments:

  1. Yay a person who has read The Blue Castle!! I am excited to hear more about this Rilla adaptation, good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aside from the blogging it's been a while since I've had a proper writing routine, but I'm really excited to get into this one. I think Rilla is a book that would work as a stand-alone, so you wouldn't have to reboot the whole Anne series before you get onto this one. Putting the record straight about what REALLY happened to the Blythe family during the Great War! :D

      Delete
  2. Why didn't I read Necropolis before I booted it off to the shop and made you buy it? WHY, KATIE? *wearily adds book back onto library/wish list* Nutella cakes and coffee sound like a great remedy for She-Hulkiness. Just keep adding those ingredients until you're not green any more, you'll be fine. :)

    ALSO, I LOVE THAT MUG. Most of the 'Keep Calm' variations are a bit naff, but THAT ONE HAS GREAT WISDOM. Have a lovely week muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I started Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop last night and already I want to eat cake AND go to Thailand AND eat ice cream. Okay, so I did that last part. With tinned pears. I'm allowed, it *cough* "needs using up before we move". SUCH A GOOD EXCUSE TO EAT ALL THE THINGS. :D

      Delete
    2. Most of the "Keep calm" things seem to have wandered too far away from the original, just keeping a vague style template, but this one works. I've had 3 of these mugs - they keep getting broken. :(

      Glad you're enjoying the ice cream book. Definitely one to be read before the sun disappears for the winter. Yay ice cream and pears! :)

      Delete
  3. Necropolis sounds interesting. I might have to check it out. I'm glad Bout of books went well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, although it is taking me a while to finish the book (especially after Bout of Books ended.) A good read, but I find non-fiction needs more concentration than fiction. But it's a great history of the macabre side to London.

      Delete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...