Tuesday 3 March 2015

February in books

Another month over. We're out of gloomy February, heading towards spring, with the sun showing itself more often, even if it's still pretty cold. Winter is on its way out, and I for one say "hurrah!"

February's provisional to-read pile


The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North
The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths
The Elements of Eloquence - Mark Forsyth
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Year I Met You - Cecelia Ahern
The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe - Alexander McCall Smith

I stuck less rigidly to my pile this month, also getting several books out of the library, and embarking on an epic shopping trip with Laura and Bex in London, which I will write about more fully later on this week.

Additional reads:

The Bumper Book of Fads and Crazes - Richard Lewis (a random library find.)
Ms Marvel: No Normal - G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona

Started in February:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
Tove Jansson: Life, Art, Words - Boel Westin
Murder Most Unladylike - Robin Stevens

Best books of February:

I didn't allocate any of last month's reads with 5 stars, but Trigger Warning was a good 4 and a half, and The Elements of Eloquence and The Girl on the Train were 4-star reads. 

Bought in February:


Murder Most Unladylike and Arsenic for Tea - Robin Stevens
The Secret of Magic - Deborah Johnson
Saplings - Noel Streatfeild
Seconds - Bryan Lee O'Malley
Ms Marvel: No Normal - G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona

(Also 642 Things to Write About, but that doesn't count as a book so much as a stationery item.)

Borrowed from the library:


The Stuff of Thought - Steven Pinker
A Son Called Gabriel - Damian McNicholl
The Bumper Book of Fads and Crazes - Richard Lewis
The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths
Tove Jansson: Life, Art, Words - Boel Westin

Provisional March to-read pile:


In progress:
Murder Most Unladylike - Robin Stevens
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - J. R. R. Tolkien
Tove Jansson: Life, Art, Words - Boel Westin

To read:
Arsenic for Tea - Robin Stevens
The Secret of Magic - Deborah Johnson
Seconds - Bryan Lee O'Malley
The Stuff of Thought - Steven Pinker
A Son Called Gabriel - Damian McNicholl
The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths

I have noticed that the new books go straight to the top of the pile, displacing books that have been there a while, probably because of the novelty, and the excitement of finding them is still fresh. Apparently that is A Thing. Also, I've renewed those library books a few times and ought to take them back soon.

What are you planning to read in the month ahead? Do you give yourself a shortlist, or just read whatever takes your fancy when you finish your latest book? 


7 comments:

  1. I really can't wait to get my hands on Trigger Warning. While it's more contentious to say Gaiman's my favourite novelist, I'm pretty sure he's my favourite short story writer. There's just such a great range of styles and genres in his short story collections.

    You do a really good job of keeping to your shortlist. I generally have a rough plan of what I want to read soon but then veer wildly off from that. I feel bad for all those unread books on my shelf that have been waiting months and months...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The monthly shortlist is a trial for this year. it seems to work quite well in the short term, for readathons, but of course I allow myself plenty of leeway.

      I do love Gaiman's short stories. They are just as engrossing as his novels, and take a long time to get over each one. I really recommend Trigger Warning.

      Delete
  2. I have 9 from the library right now, but only 3 left to read, so I need to put some more on hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libraries are wonderful things. I tend to shop from a mental wishlist, especially when I'm being strict with myself about how many books I can buy, but in the library you can come home with all sorts of unexpected treasures, and also there's less pressure to finish or enjoy it because you haven't spent any money on them.

      Delete
  3. I am interested to hear what you think of Seconds - I haven't read it yet, but like many Canadians, I loved the Scott Pilgrim series and I'm looking forward to his new material!
    I'm also stopping by to say a huge thank you as I received your Hometown Ninja Book Swap parcel today and it's amazing.
    ps we already totes follow each other on tumblr, I am bookhoor over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen the film of Scott Pilgrim so far, but loved it. Seconds is one of my next books to read.

      Goes to show the Ninja Book Swap team did a good job choosing partners. Glad you liked your parcel (even if I see someone else bought you the same book. I thought I'd taken it off your wishlist as "bought elsewhere" but they must have got in first. Well, happy reading to you and your mum, anyway.

      Delete
  4. I really need to try to read new books sooner when I get them. I know a balance between older and newer books works well for me, but the longer I have a shiny new thing the further down the pile it slides, and that's such a shame. The number of unread hardback 'MUST HAVE IT NOW' books I still have on my shelves even though the paperbacks have long since come out is shameful! Must try harder, Ellie. MUST TRY HARDER. Enjoy your March reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...